Wednesday, November 23, 2011

I Got My Hair Did

There are a few things I have never understood about Dominican culture, and the booming salons have always been one of them.  What is referred to in the States as a blow out, something you would only have done if you had a big event to attend, is done here weekly or biweekly.  The salons are always packed, and walking in to one is like walking into a cloud of hair spray - they are seriously foggy, and its a miracle if you leave one without feeling lightheaded.  

The place I get my nails done has weekday specials, so its not uncommon for me to see more than 50 women getting their hair done in one small room on a Thursday afternoon.

Source
Yesterday I finally had the blow out experience.  The "shampoo"-ing was the longest hair wash of my life.  They scrubbed and scrubbed and scrubbed, they even washed my forehead.  After the fourth and final rinse, I was content to find that my scalp was still intact.

After the drawn out shampoo, as I sat there with my feet soaking in a pedicure tub, with a woman drying my hair stick straight, while another was working on my manicure, I realized this is nice, and I guess I began to understand.  Who doesn't love to be pampered?  

I'm glad to have found a mini luxury that I can treat myself to just because.  
The perfect mid-week pick-up.

1 comment:

  1. This is something I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to do weekly! You know me and my beauty splurges. Enjoy it!!! I wanna do this with you someday!

    ReplyDelete