Thursday, November 1, 2012

Carlsbad & Deepak Chopra-Style Yoga

A couple weeks ago I spent five sunny days in Southern California visiting my nuna [godmother] - the woman who gave me my middle name - Renie!


She lives in Carlsbad, about a 40 minute drive north of San Diego.  If you're looking for a big-ish little town to visit in California, I highly recommend Carlsbad - its the perfect little city.  Why?  It has a picturesque downtown area with vintage shops and restaurants, a never crowded beach with a running path that goes on for miles, the solution to every shopping need you may have, friendly people, hiking paths around the lagoons, LegoWorld for kids... etc, etc, etc, I could go on.  In addition to all this, there are plenty of resorts in the area, making it easy to get your occasional spa treatment as well. ;)

Grounds at the resort
One of my favorite things we did during my stay was practice yoga at the nearby Chopra Center for Wellbeing at La Costa Resort & Spa.  This place has the #1 wellness spa in the nation, which explains why its the home of the only Deepak Chopra Centre in the country.

Complementary tea at the centre
The centre offers daily yoga classes, meditation, ayurvedic treatments, and all different kinds of workshops and courses.  The style of yoga that is offered is much more meditative than the yoga that I take here in the DR; but although it was slower paced it was just as enjoyable.  The biggest difference I noticed was the centre's focus on the chakras (energy points within the body) that I never hear about in my own yoga classes.  I now want to learn more about them.

Post yoga breakfast at the resort
The Centre also has a gift shop that left me wanting oh so many things!  They even sell products based on your dosha.  I'm a Pitta-Kapha, what are you?  You can take a 5-minute Dosha quiz here.

Source
If you're in the area you should definitely stop by the resort, even if its just for brunch on the terrace or to window shop in the boutiques.  Guests may also take a yoga class during their stay, gratis!

No comments:

Post a Comment